You are not logged in.   

Forgot password / Verify | Sign up now! | Printer Friendly

The Franklin County Publication Archive Index is constantly updated. By creating an account you can elect to receive notices when new articles are added and when people comment on the articles.

Join today!


Dec 11, 2023
Franklin County (MA) News Archive
The Franklin County Publication Archive Index

To search for a particular subject term, click on the highlighted link containing that term at the bottom of the article. For example, if you are seeking more articles about animals, click on the highlighted link which says Animals/Reptiles/Amphibians.

Article Archives: Articles: Telegraphs / Telephones

Showing 25

Posted by stew - Wed, Feb 10, 2010

Gazette & Courier - Monday, September 20, 1875
Greenfield items

Greenfield - Frank Lansing Grinnell, who met his death by a sad and singular accident at Bridgeport, CT, was a son of George B. Grinnell of New York, and a grandson of Hon. George Grinnell of this town. He had just graduated at Yale and was about entering into business. A most exemplary young man, and fond of outdoor exercise and amusements, including the game of baseball in which he was skilled.

At the time of the accident, he was at Bridgeport to take part in a match game. Previous, while endeavoring to catch a flying ball, he stepped backward, unawares, into the line of 2 young men who were passing a ball, before they perceived it. The ball was the hardest on the ground, and thrown by the most powerful pitcher of the club, and struck young Grinnell on the back of the head, just at the base of the skull.

He fell instantly, and was soon after taken to the house of Hon. W.D. Bishop, where he received every attention possible. His friends arrived as soon as telegraph and steam could bring them. He remained unconscious until Friday, when he seemed to recognize them, and hope revived among his friends; but he sunk away and died on Saturday eve.

He was much beloved by his classmates and others in college, and only 2 weeks ago spent several days with his grandparents, where he met many acquaintances who mourn his early death.

[Additional information can be found in the
1875-1876 Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale University online].

Subjects: Accident Victims, Accidents, Amusements, Businesspeople, Connecticut, Education, Family, Greenfield (MA), Households, Literature / Web Pages, Obituaries, Sports, Telegraphs / Telephones, Transportation

Posted by stew - Wed, Feb 10, 2010

Gazette & Courier - Monday, September 20, 1875
Greenfield items

Greenfield - Patrick Dunnigan, belonging in this town, was in his second year at Nicolet College, which is situated [?] miles below Montreal on the St. Lawrence, met a sad death on the night of Sept. 7. He had been home on a vacation, and with 2 or 3 fellow students was returning to the college, which is conducted by secular priests. Taking a steamboat at Montreal, Dunnigan accidentally fell overboard at Three Rivers, unbeknown [sic] to his comrades.

His body was not found until Sept. 14, when it had drifted 40 miles below Montreal. His friends here did not hear of his death until informed by a dispatch last week. His brother, James Dunnigan, went north for his remains Thurs. night, and returned Sat. morning. The funeral from the Catholic Church Sat. forenoon, was attended by a large number of people.

The young man is spoken of in the highest esteem by all who knew him, on account of his quiet, studious habits and amiable disposition. He was studying for the ministry, and was possessor of considerable talent. He was 21 years of age and leaves a widowed mother.

Subjects: Accident Victims, Accidents, Education, Family, Greenfield (MA), Obituaries, Religion, Rivers / Lakes / Oceans, Telegraphs / Telephones, Transportation, Vacations, Widows and Widowers, Canada

Posted by stew - Mon, Jan 18, 2010

Gazette & Courier - Monday, September 20, 1875
The Coleraine Murder

The Coleraine Murder - As briefly stated in our last issue, Daniel Dwight, supposed to be one of the murderers of Joseph R. Farnsworth, was arrested Sat. night at the door of his father’s house on Catamount Hill, Coleraine, where he had come 5 days after the murder. There were 6 men, under Deputy Sheriff John Gould, stationed around the house, and between 10 and 11 o’clock, they saw a man coming up the road, which proved to be young Dwight.

They allowed him to approach near the house, when a signal was given, and they stepped from their hiding places. Dwight ran around the house in the direction of the barn, but he was then surrounded and forced to surrender. When taken into the house before his father, he fainted.

Dwight was confined in the lock-up at Shelburne Falls, and on Mon., Trial Justice Brainard of Greenfield held a court at the office of H.M.Puffer, Esq., and had the young man brought before him. A large gathering of people were in attendance, and among them Dwight’s wife, father and mother.

He pleaded not guilty, and the magistrate, without having a hearing of evidence, arraigned him on the charge of murder and continued the case to Mon. the 17th. Officers Swan and Gould then brought the prisoner to Greenfield,where he is now confined in jail. Dwight appears quite calm and is not disposed to talk much about the affair. He accounts for his absence and his whereabouts during the 4 days as follows:

"I had some trouble with my wife on Tues. aft., which had ended by my saying I was going off, and her replying that she hoped I would, and what was more, that I would stay away. She then started to go to father’s house, which is only a short distance from mine, and I started for a pasture where some of father’s cattle were grazing.

On the way I met Herbert Davenport, and together we went to Farnsworth’s house, and afterward went down the lane to the road leading to Shelburne Falls. Herbert wanted a cane, so we stopped and cut one, I bending the tree over while he cut it; but he did not carry it long before he threw it away.

From there we went through the fields directly to my house, where I changed my clothes and gave a suit to Herbert, as his were all patched and dirty. We left home about 5 o’clock, and went down the mountain to Heath, and then through Hartwellville down to North Adams, getting there on Wed. aft.

We walked all Tues. night.Wed. night we slept on the hills near North Adams, and on Thurs. morning, after staying a while in North Adams, we walked to Pownal on the railroad track. At Pownal we got on board a train which was returning with the firemen from the muster at North Adams that day.

At Petersburg Junction Herbert got left with some Salem, N.Y. firemen, because the train started so quick, and I could not get off, it was going so fast. That night I stopped at Greenwich, N.Y. and registered my name in the hotel book in full - Daniel J. Dwight, Coleraine, Mass. I remained there that night, but had nothing to eat, as I only had money enough to pay for my lodging.

[For more information on this area, see the Internet Archive’s "Williamstown, the Berkshire Hills, and thereabout"]

The next day I walked to Troy. I did not remain there long because I was hungry and sick, and thought I would go right home and go to work for father, and let my wife do as she chose. Coming back I got a ride part of the way on a freight train, and got to N. Adams Sat. aft.,and walked to central shaft in the tunnel, and from there I rode to the east end on the workmen’s train and walked to Zoar, where they let me ride on a hand car to Charlemont. From there I rode with a Mr.Wells as far as his house, and then went across the fields home".

A portion of Dwight’s story has proved to be true. Bradley Davenport and Wesley Woodard, sent to Petersburg Junction, sent back that two men answering the description of Dwight and Davenport had been there. At Greenwich, N.Y., Dwight’s name was found registered in full, as he had said, and there is nothing to show that Davenport was with him at the time.

The Davenport boy arrested - Search was continued for Davenport and finally he was tracked to Williamstown, and Thurs. aft. was found there by a Mr. White. He made no efforts to escape, but on the other hand seemed glad to give himself up.

He was brought through the tunnel to Shelburne Falls Fri. morning, and Trial Justice Brainard of Greenfield held a preliminary trial, arraigned him for murder, and continued the trial until the 27th. The Davenport boy’s narrative is substantially the same as that given by Dwight, but he does not deny that they killed Farnsworth.

He says their only object was to obtain money, that he had no enmity or ill will towards the murdered man. He and Dwight had made up their minds to go West and hoped to get enough money from Farnsworth to pay their expenses, but he says they only got about $4.

There were 2 sticks cut, he says, a walnut and a maple. It was with the latter that Farnsworth was knocked down. He says that he did not do the striking, though he was there. After he was left at Petersburg Junction, he wandered from place to place, working for something to eat when he could get employment, and was endeavoring to get back home.

Davenport is not of ordinary intelligence. He was dull at school, and has since been lazy and shiftless. Want of mental responsibility will be entered as a plea in his behalf. His mother says that he has always been a "strange boy". She has another son and a daughter who are bright, active and industrious.

Davenport was brought to Greenfield and lodged in jail on Fri. by Deputy Sheriff Swan. Both boys, who are allowed to be together when not locked in their cells, do not appear to be cast down or afflicted much with remorse. They will be brought before the Grand Jury at the November Court and if bills are found against them the trial will be before a special session of the Supreme Court.

Subjects: Amusements, Animals / Reptiles, Charlemont (MA), Coleraine [now Colrain] (MA), Courts, Crime, Criminals, Diseases, Economics, Education, Family, Farmers & Farming / Flowers, Fires, Food, Greenfield (MA), Handicapped, Hoosac Tunnel (MA), Hotels, Households, Juvenile Delinquents, Marriage and Elopement, Missing Persons, Murder, Names, Police

Posted by stew - Mon, Jan 18, 2010

Gazette & Courier - Monday, September 20, 1875
Hampshire County news

A pretty cheeky individual went to the station agent at Northampton Friday night, and asked him to send up a car to Hatfield to be loaded with tobacco for shipment to Hartford, representing himself as the purchaser and shipper. The car was duly sent up and 23 cases of tobacco, worth about $2500, were taken from James Warner's storehouse and placed in the car, and the car was started for Hartford.

The conversation between the thief and the station agent happened to be overheard by Samuel Billings of Hatfield, and after looking into the matter, his suspicions that all was not right were confirmed, and a telegram to Superintendent Mulligan caused the detention of the car when it reached Springfield.


Subjects: Connecticut, Crime, Criminals, Hampshire / Hampden Counties, Robbers and Outlaws, Smoking and Tobacco, Telegraphs / Telephones, Trains, Vendors and Purchasers

Posted by stew - Mon, Feb 9, 2009

Gazette & Courier - Monday, September 6, 1875
Great fire at South Deerfield

Great fire at South Deerfield - over $40,000 worth of property destroyed. One of the most destructive conflagrations that has ever visited Franklin County raged at South Deerfield Sat. night, sweeping out of existence the two village hotels, the finest private dwelling house in the place, a manufacturing establishment, a livery stable with several buildings, sheds and other property.

About 15 minutes before 12 o’clock, fire was discovered in the trimming room, in the second story of the ell part of John Ockington’s carriage shop, which was located on Depot Street, a little west of the Main street of the village. Before the alarm became general the flames with almost lightning rapidity spread to the main building, a large 2 story wooden structure, used for the various branches of the carriage business, and a repository for finished work.

Mr. Ockington’s books were rescued, and a portion of his stock, but a carryall, buggy, express wagon, sleigh, and a no. of carriages in different stages of construction, tools and lumber and stock of various kind were destroyed. ..The wind, which was blowing strongly from the north and north west, carried the flying cinders in the direction of Main Street.

Ten and a half ft. from the shop was the livery stable owned by W. Houston and occupied by Frank Warren. Hardly 15 minutes from the breaking out of the fire the stable had caught, and in a very short time was reduced to ashes...The next building reached by the devouring fire fiend was the Hayden Hotel, a large 2 story wooden building in the south west corner of Main Street and Depot Street, 75 ft. distant from the stable. It was owned by L. Hayden and occupied by his son Charles Hayden.

...Nearly all the furniture was removed from the building, but still considerable valuable property was destroyed. Miss Benn Hayden occupied a fancy goods store in the block, and her stock was nearly all saved.

100 ft. to the south on Main Street was Loren Hayden’s fine dwelling house, built but a short time ago, the most extensive residence in South Deerfield, and well furnished. Only a part of the furniture was saved, and the building and most of its contents were soon in ashes. In the rear, 27 ft. distance, was a large new barn which with its contents of hay and grain were destroyed....

While the conflagration was waging its war of destruction upon this corner of the street, another had broken out with equal fury on the opposite corner. The Bloody Brook House, belonging to C.P. Aldrich, was in a few moments a mass of flames. This long building, extending over 100 ft. on Main Street, with a new ell on Depot Street, its barns and numerous outbuildings melted before the flames like frost beneath the rays of the sun.

Efforts were made to clear out the contents but they were mostly unavailing, and the furniture, a piano, billiard table, provisions, bedding, etc. were lapped up by the greedy element. In the large grocery store of L.T. Harris, in the ell part of the building, but little was taken out. Scudder, a jeweler, saved most of his stock, but shot himself through the hand while handling one of his revolvers. J.T. Burnett occupied a room as a barber shop, but met no serious loss.

S.F. Fisher, who had a harness shop in the building, packed his goods and tools in trunks, and saved nearly all. P. Corkins, the shoemaker, another occupant, was alike fortunate. Several boarders in the hotel lost their clothing, but fortunately no one perished or was seriously injured.

Providentially there was a change in the wind, and the fire made no further progress in a northerly direction; though a horse belonging to Edward Jones of Greenfield, which is adjacent, was scorched and vigilant watching was required to prevent it from igniting. O.S. Arms’ house, on the east side of Main Street opposite Hayden’s, was several times on fire. All of the furniture was taken out, and by cutting through the roof and applying water as best they could when flames were discovered, he and his neighbors managed to save the building.

On the corner of Main Street opposite the Hayden hotel, is a large wooden building belonging to C.A. Pierce. This too was scorched. and the roof was frequently on fire, but it was saved without serious damage. Its occupants, M. Roch, druggist, Boyd & Houghton, dry goods, Mrs. B. Parsons Mansfield, milliner, O.S. Arms, post office and shoe store removed a portion or all of their goods, and had them more or less damaged. William B. Houston, who occupied a tenement on the 2nd floor, had his furniture taken out.

Deacon L.H. Fellow’s house, some 20 ft. from the post office, was also on fire and its contents taken out, but the fire was kept at bay by the use of small hand pumps, such as are used in gardens and in washing carriages. C. Mosher’s livery stable was saved in the same way. Numerous other houses and buildings were at different times on fire, but the assembled people were able to put them out.

South Deerfield is without a fire engine, reservoir, or any organized means for extinguishing fire. The people who assembled in obedience to the alarm could do little but assist in moving furniture and goods, and the fire in the destruction of the buildings mentioned had it all its own way. Within two hours from the breaking out of the flames in Ockington’s shop they had done their work, and nothing was left but tottering chimneys and smouldering embers.

About a quarter past 12 a dispatch was sent to Springfield for help and an hour or two after, two steamers and a hose cart arrived, making the run from Springfield in 40 minutes; but it was too late to be of service, and if the engines had come earlier there would have been little water that could have been made use of. The train soon returned.

The Deerfield Guards, under Captain B.F. Bridges, who had returned from msuter the afternoon previous, were early called to guard the property scattered about the streets. Some disturbance was created by boys who had confiscated liquors, but it was quelled without serious trouble. The fire was seen for miles, and burning brands were carried as far as Sunderland.

Mr. L. Hayden was so prostrated from the excitement incident to the fire that there were rumors yesterday that he was not likely to survive; but these rumors were probably exaggerated. John Ockington, one of the principle sufferers, is away at the seaside.

[Article goes on to discuss policies and amount of insurance, but this is all nicely listed in the NYTimes article].

Though there is some doubt about the origin of the fire, the prevailing belief is inclined to incendiarism. There had been no fire about the carriage shop after 3 o’clock the previous afternoon. The place in the building where it broke out was quite a distance from the forging shop. The calamity is a serious blow to the community.

[See the article "Losses by fire" in the Sept. 6, 1875 issue of the New York Times Online Archive].

Subjects: Accidents, Amusements, Animals / Reptiles, Astronomy, Barber / Hair, Business Enterprises, Businesspeople, Children, Crime, Criminals, Deerfield (MA), Drugstores / Drugs, Economics, Fires, Food, Furniture, Greenfield (MA), Hampshire / Hampden Counties, History, Horses, Hotels, Households, Ice, Juvenile Delinquents, Lightning

Posted by stew - Sat, Jan 17, 2009

Gazette & Courier - Monday, August 23, 1875

A few mornings since a dark flag was seen waving on Mt. Toby by a Sunderland man, who was at a loss to determine its significance. He conjectured it to be a signal of distress, though he did not start to the rescue. The flag was in the hands of one communicating telegraphically with a person in this village. With the aid of glasses, these persons say they could talk successfully with each other. We should think proprietor Goss might devise a way to communicate with his man at the summit from his place of business at the city.

[See Mount Toby in Wikipedia].

Subjects: Amusements, Business Enterprises, Glass / Windows, Leverett (MA), Literature / Web Pages, Montague (MA), Sunderland (MA), Telegraphs / Telephones

Posted by stew - Sat, Jan 3, 2009

Gazette & Courier - Monday, August 16, 1875
Marriage without acquaintance

There was a marriage in Middletown, N.Y. Thurs. eve., the parties being a young lady who has resided there and a telegraph operator from Peru, Indiana. It is related that a little over a year ago, through mutual friends, the parties commenced a correspondence, which finally culminated in the young man proposing marriage. The young lady gratefully accepting, Thurs. was fixed upon as the happy day, and the young man arrived Wed. eve. The young lady met him at the depot, from out the crowd they selected their destinies, and the next evening they were made one.

Subjects: Courtship, Emigration and Immigration, Literature / Web Pages, Marriage and Elopement, Telegraphs / Telephones, Trains, Women, Work

Posted by stew - Sat, Dec 20, 2008

Gazette & Courier - Monday, August 2, 1875
Shelburne Falls

Eddie Bowen, son of the Shelburne Falls station master, is to have charge of the telegraph station soon to be established at Bardwell's Ferry. West Deerfield is also to have a telegraph connection.

Subjects: Deerfield (MA), Family, Shelburne and Shelburne Falls (MA), Telegraphs / Telephones, Trains, Work

Posted by stew - Tue, Dec 16, 2008

Gazette & Courier - Monday, August 2, 1875
News about home: Greenfield items

There was a sad accident at the depot Fri. morning. An excursion train from the south, loaded with passengers for the Band celebration at Lake Pleasant, ran past the depot and John Francis, a young man about 20 years of age, and belonging in Northampton, was knocked from the platform of a car, striking head foremost against the car house in the rear of Potter & Nash's store. He was thrown backwards upon the track and the cars ran over his left arm close to the shoulder.

He was taken into Potter & Nash's store, and Dr. Deane, who was at the depot, was seen in attendance. The lad's father, who is a blacksmith in Northampton, was telegraphed to, and in the aft., Dr. Deane, assisted by Drs. Osgood and Walker, amputated the arm near the shoulder socket. He remained at Potter & Nashs's store Fri. night, and Sat. morning was removed to the house of Mr. Prairie on Davis Street.

Subjects: Accidents, Family, Greenfield (MA), Hampshire / Hampden Counties, Households, Lake Pleasant (MA), Medical Personnel, Medicine / Hospitals, Montague (MA), Music, Roads, Stores, Retail, Telegraphs / Telephones, Trains, Work

Posted by stew - Sat, Dec 13, 2008

Gazette & Courier - Monday, July 26, 1875
News about home: Greenfield items

Senator Washburn received last Wed. a telegram from President Grant, notifying him of his appointment on the Red Cloud commission - a board created to investigate the charges of Prof. Marsh [Othniel Charles Marsh ] against the Red Cloud Agency. Mr. W. declined the appointment. It is only a few weeks since he has been able to retire from public duties that have engrossed his time and attention for years, and he did not care to forfeit his freedom so soon. The appointment, however, is quite an honor, and shows the esteem in which he is held by the authorities at Washington.

Subjects: Government, Greenfield (MA), Native Americans, Racism, Telegraphs / Telephones, Work

Posted by stew - Sat, Dec 13, 2008

Gazette & Courier - Monday, July 26, 1875
News about home: Greenfield items

E.A. Blake is located for the summer, as telegraph operator at the Twin Mountain House, White Mountains, where Mr. Beecher spends his vacation.

Subjects: Greenfield (MA), Hotels, Religion, Scandals, Telegraphs / Telephones, Vacations, Work

Posted by stew - Thu, Dec 4, 2008

Gazette & Courier - Monday, July 5, 1875
News about home: Greenfield items

A few weeks since, a man attending a circus at Richmond, Vt. had his pocket book, containing $1600 in bonds, $3000 in notes at hand, and $200 in money, stolen. [OK, why on earth would he bring this type of stuff to a circus?] A peddler stopping at the hotel found it in the morning near the wagon of the advertising agent of the circus, and supposing it to belong to the agent, without examining it, placed it in the boot of his wagon. The agent drove to this town, being several days on the road, without discovering it. After his arrival here, in opening his boot, he discovered the pocketbook, and examining it, discovered the owner and telegraphed to him at once.

The owner came, found his bonds and his notes all right, but the money had been taken by the thieves. The owner happened to be one of those generous men we read of, and returned home without thanking the circus agent or even paying for the telegram he sent him.

Subjects: Advertising, Amusements, Circus, Economics, Greenfield (MA), Hotels, Lost and Found, Roads, Robbers and Outlaws, Telegraphs / Telephones, Transportation, Vendors and Purchasers, Vermont

Posted by stew - Mon, Dec 1, 2008

Gazette & Courier - Monday, June 14, 1875
News about home: Greenfield items

There was no telegraphic communication with Shelburne Falls for several days last week, the wires being down. People living on the line will appreciate the better system that will come with the through road.

Subjects: Greenfield (MA), Roads, Shelburne and Shelburne Falls (MA), Telegraphs / Telephones

Posted by stew - Mon, Dec 1, 2008

Gazette & Courier - Monday, June 14, 1875
News of the week

A shocking crime [For details about the burglary of Mr. Aaron Schute's house, his shooting by a burglar, and pleas to police and detectives to become more knowledgeable about catching thiefs, as well as a plea to house-holders to put chains on their bedroom doors and "telegraphic burglar alarms" on their houses, see the New York Times article index for June 8, 1875].

Subjects: Crime, Criminals, Households, Literature / Web Pages, Police, Robbers and Outlaws, Telegraphs / Telephones

Posted by stew - Mon, Dec 1, 2008

Gazette & Courier - Monday, June 7, 1875
News of the week

3 Northampton young men, L.A. Chase, telegraph operator at the Canal depot, David Willard and Robert Houston, were out rowing on the Connecticut River Sun. forenoon, in a shell, when they were upset by some flaw of wind. All started for shore, but Chase and Willard turned back to save the boat, and were drowned. Houston reached the Hadley shore, and was drawn to the bank, exhausted. The accident was seen by J.W. French from the top of Mount Holyoke, who called to his half-way house, and sent a man down to the rescue. The persons drowned were about 21 years old.

Subjects: Accident Victims, Accidents, Amusements, Canals, Connecticut River, Hampshire / Hampden Counties, Obituaries, Rivers / Lakes / Oceans, Sports, Telegraphs / Telephones, Trains, Transportation, Weather, Work

Posted by stew - Mon, Dec 1, 2008

Gazette & Courier - Monday, May 24, 1875
The government telegraph in England

Short article.

Subjects: English (and England), Government, Telegraphs / Telephones

Posted by stew - Mon, Dec 1, 2008

Gazette & Courier - Monday, May 17, 1875
News about home: Greenfield items

Henry N. Mygatt, who had been a clerk in Seward & Willard's store for about a year and a half, met a sad death in Springfield on Thurs. He terminated his employment here on Wed. and left town with the expressed intention of going to Washington, where his father resides. It appears that he stopped in Springfield, where, Thurs. aft., about 2 o'clock, he visited a saloon, and calling for drink, told the bar tender that he wanted to take some medicine in his liquor. He said that he had been up nights until his nerves were so disturbed that he had to take something to quiet them before he slept.

/ He poured the medicine - subsequently discovered to be chloral - into the glass from a small vial, drank it with the liquor and went out. He then went to the Berkshire House, and at the bar there took another portion of the chloral with some liquor, and then called for a room, saying he wanted to go to bed. He was shown to his room, and nothing more was thought about it till someone entered the room about 5 o'clock and found him dead in the bed. He had apparently gone directly to bed and fallen at once under the deadly influence of the chloral. From letters and cards found upon Mygatt's person, a telegram of inquiry was sent to Seward & Willard, who requested the Springfield authorities to give proper attention to the remains, and immediately forwarded a dispatch to Mygatt's friends in Washington. Those who were intimate with him here, do not think that it was his purpose to take his own life, but in a nervous mood he took the chloral to obtain sleep and rest, and was a victim of an overdose. Mygatt was 34 years of age and a young man of a fine gentlemanly appearance. He was for some time clerk in the Patent Office at Washington, and for 4 years was an orderly with Admiral Alden on the Wabash, accompanying General Sherman on his European trip a few years ago; and in one way and another had seen a good deal of the world. Mr. Willard became acquainted with him South, and induced him to come to Greenfield. His father reached Springfield on Fri. and took the remains home to Washington. The report that Mygatt had a wife in Washington is incorrect. The affectionate letters referred to, which were found in his pocket, were probably from his sister.

Subjects: Accident Victims, Bars (Drinking establishments), Business Enterprises, Businesspeople, Diseases, Dreams / Sleep, Drug Abuse, Emigration and Immigration, Family, Furniture, Glass / Windows, Government, Greenfield (MA), Hampshire / Hampden Counties, Hotels, Inventions, Liquors, Literature / Web Pages, Marriage and Elopement, Medicine / Hospitals, Obituaries, Suicide, Telegraphs / Telephones, Trains, War / Weaponry

Posted by stew - Mon, Dec 1, 2008

Gazette & Courier - Monday, May 17, 1875
News about home: Greenfield items

Rev. Dr. Tyler of Brattleboro, who officiated at the Episcopal church on Sun., was found in his room at the Mansion House in an insensible condition. He had partaken heartily of supper the previous eve., and retiring to his room, he suffered an apoplectic attack before going to bed. Not appearing at the breakfast hour the next morning, his room was entered, and he was found upon the floor, where he had lain through the night. Medical assistance was immediately called and a telegram sent to his family. The doctor soon rallied, and was able on Wed. to return to B. He has had a similar attack once before.

Subjects: Diseases, Dreams / Sleep, Family, Food, Furniture, Greenfield (MA), Hotels, Medical Personnel, Religion, Telegraphs / Telephones, Vermont, Work

Posted by stew - Mon, Dec 1, 2008

Gazette & Courier - Monday, May 10, 1875
News about home: Greenfield items

Mrs. E.B. Loomis is expected back from her sad errand to Europe this week. Arriving in London on the 22nd, she learned by telegram that her nephew, J.B. Monroe, had died on the 17th at Menton, in southern France. His death was sudden, there being no symptoms of immediate death 15 minutes before he died. His disease was rapid consumption. He had every attention and kindness shown him during his sickness at Menton. Mrs. Loomis hoped to complete arrangements in London for the sending home of his remains from Marseilles, and expected herself to sail from Liverpool for New York on the 29th in the steamer Celtic.

Subjects: Diseases, Emigration and Immigration, Family, Greenfield (MA), Medical Personnel, Mourning Customs, Obituaries, Telegraphs / Telephones, Transportation, Women

Posted by stew - Mon, Dec 1, 2008

Gazette & Courier - Monday, May 10, 1875
A sad sequel to an unhappy married life

The sad story of the death of Mrs. Anna Curtis, soprano of the Church of the Atonement in New York from the effects of an abortion, and of her previous unhappy intimacy with Benjamin Gregory, the organist of the church, has a sequel equally sad. Her husband, Tyler Curtis, who was in San Francisco at the time of her death, received the sad event from a telegram asking him what should be done with his wife's body. He hurriedly telegraphed to have the body placed in a receiving vault until his arrival. While packing up his effects preparatory to leaving San Francisco, he got an evening paper in which he read with grieved amazement the story of his wife's shame. Dazed and heartbroken, he took the train for New York, where he arrived on Apr. 8. The sudden shock to his feelings was too much for him to bear, and he sank rapidly, dying on Thurs. from grief and prostration under the blow which he had received. [For more on this story, see the New York Times article of March 19, 1875 entitled "Mrs. Tyler Curtis' Funeral"].

Subjects: Birth Control, Cemeteries, Curiosities and Wonders, Diseases, Literature / Web Pages, Marriage and Elopement, Medical Personnel, Medicine / Hospitals, Mourning Customs, Music, Obituaries, Religion, Scandals, Seduction, Sex Crimes, Telegraphs / Telephones, Trains, Women, Work

Posted by stew - Mon, Dec 1, 2008

Gazette & Courier - Monday, May 10, 1875
A cargo of salt adulterated with arsenic

A not very welcome piece of news is the fact which has just come to light that a cargo of salt which recently arrived at New York and has since been distributed to various interior points was by accident largely adulterated with arsenic. It seems that the British ship Niagara, which arrived here from Liverpool on the 4th, had stowed in the lower hold 1950 sacks of salt and in the "between decks" just above 100 barrels of arsenic [See the article in the New York Times of April 30, 1875, entitled "Arsenic in salt"].

Subjects: Accidents, English (and England), Food, Literature / Web Pages, Poisoning, Science, Telegraphs / Telephones, Transportation, Weather

Posted by stew - Wed, Oct 4, 2006

Gazette & Courier - Monday, February 22, 1875
The Lyme Conn. tragedy

The Lyme Conn. tragedy - Barbarous conduct of a father - The Hartford Times gives the following particulars of the sad affair which occurred at Lyme a few days since, brief mention of which has been made by telegraph. The full particulars of the tragedy in Lyme were not given in our Saturday paper, as they had not come to light at the time. Mr. Daniels, the father of the family, whose house was burned down on Thurs. night, is very poor, and most of the time under the influence of liquor. He and his wife were away at the time of the fire, and he has not once been heard from. The house, as was stated, caught fire from the explosion of a kerosene lamp, and the seven children had a very narrow escape from being burned to death. None of the residents of the village were aware of the fire until 7 o’clock the next morning, when Mr. William E. Coult, the nearest neighbor who lived a quarter of a mile away, found one of the Daniel boys, about 8 years of age, lying half frozen on the steps of his house. He learned from the boy that the Daniels house had been burned. Mr. Coult started for help [very very blurred]...the other 6 children huddled together...near the house. One...was entirely naked, and frozen stiff and dead. Another was badly frozen and has since died. The ages of the children range from 1 to 17 years. The most horrible part of the story yet remains to be told. It seems that Daniels, who is a wood cutter, returned from his work a week ago last Sat. night and found that during his absence the family had suffered for the necessities of life, and had been compelled to ask Mr. Coult and other neighbors for food. He made the most severe [?] against them...even if they starved. Fear from [?] was what compelled the freezing children to take refuge in the bushes instead of entering Mr. Coult’s house. The father had even punished the children for taking food from his neighbors, anbd thus when they were cast from their house, while it was burning, and in danger of freezing, they did not dare ask for help. When found, the [?] daughter of 13 years of age, was frozen and [?]. Her chemise, her only garment, had been torn off by the younger children to keep themselves warm. All that remained of the garment on her person was the nape and part of this, with portions of the [?]...remained on the ice when the body was removed. The boy found on Mr. Coult’s [?] had remained there from half past 2 o’clock until 7 o’clock in the morning, with no clothing on except his shirt and pants. Another horrible part remains to be told. A daughter of Daniels, 17 years old, was one of the party saved, and with her was found, clasped to her breast, her baby, 12 months old. The father of the babe, it is asserted by the town [?] of Lyme, is her own father! Daniels has left for parts unknown. His poor children are kindly cared for by humane persons in Lyme, while the authorities are trying to locate his whereabouts.

Subjects: Accident Victims, Child Abuse, Children, Connecticut, Crime, Criminals, Drunkenness, Family, Fires, Food, Households, Ice, Light, Liquors, Literature / Web Pages, Lost and Found, Obituaries, Poor, Sex Crimes, Telegraphs / Telephones, Trees, Weather, Women, Work, Clothing

Posted by stew - Sat, Aug 26, 2006

Gazette & Courier - Monday, February 22, 1875
Telegrams from Singapore report a disturbance among the Chinese prisoners in jail at that place which was not suppressed before 67 were kill

Telegrams from Singapore report a disturbance among the Chinese prisoners in jail at that place which was not suppressed before 67 were killed and injured, including 16 wardens of the jail.

Subjects: Chinese, English (and England), Prisons, Riots, Telegraphs / Telephones, Work

Posted by stew - Sat, Aug 26, 2006

Gazette & Courier - Monday, February 22, 1875
A London dispatch has a report of serious disturbances in Bethlehem, Palestine. The Greeks made an attack upon that quarter of the city inhabited by the Armenians, and several persons on both sides w

A London dispatch has a report of serious disturbances in Bethlehem, Palestine. The Greeks made an attack upon that quarter of the city inhabited by the Armenians, and several persons on both sides were killed.

Subjects: English (and England), Telegraphs / Telephones, Urbanization / Cities, War / Weaponry, Arabs, Europe

Posted by stew - Fri, Aug 4, 2006

Gazette & Courier - Monday, February 22, 1875
The Secretary of War has directed the Adjutant General to send telegrams to the commanding Generals in Dakota and the Platt and Missouri departments, instructing them to carry out the directions of t

The Secretary of War has directed the Adjutant General to send telegrams to the commanding Generals in Dakota and the Platt and Missouri departments, instructing them to carry out the directions of the recent general order for furnishing supplies to the sufferers of the grasshopper ravages with the utmost dispatch. The Quartermaster General and the Commissary General are to telegraph the officers of their departments to the same effect.

Subjects: Charity, Food, Insects, Telegraphs / Telephones, War / Weaponry

Powered by